Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Eiffel Tower

When I was 13, my dad took my two brothers and I to Europe for the first time. On that trip we had the opportunity to visit the Eiffel Tower. Beneath the tower vendors held up their souvenirs for sale and pestered the endless amounts of tourists that were visiting one of France’s icons. I remember buying a miniature Eiffel Tower. For years it sat in my room and it was a great way to remember the adventurous trip I was able to take with the men in my family, but it was also a great reminder of something wonderful I had experienced.

Recently, my dad returned to Europe and on this trip took his lovely wife Jodi. While in Jodi’s office over the Christmas holiday I noticed that Jodi had the same Eiffel tower sitting on her desk. Seeing the little statue made me smile, it brought back so many fond memories. Jodi had bought two Eiffel Tower’s on her trip and offered one to me. I accepted the gift, but purposefully left it in Jodi’s office. I had treasured my little tower for so long that I couldn’t take one of hers. It wasn’t my experience that had brought that tower back, it had been hers, and she needed to keep it.

This morning as I was driving home I noticed a charm that my sister had given me for Christmas. Since putting it on my key chain I have not paid much attention to it. As the cold air attacked my bare legs I clenched onto my keys and gave the charm a real look for the first time. On one side lay a big M for Megan, and on the other side was a picture of the Eiffel Tower. I couldn’t help but smile.

Through the years I have moved several times. To be honest, I don’t know where my little tower is that I brought home. It could be in a box at my brother’s house, or it could be long gone. Wherever it is though, that tower meant something special to me. Seeing the Eiffel tower on my key chain today reminded me of all of the adventures I have had and of all of the adventures I will yet have. It is my dream to return to Europe someday soon. When I do, visiting the Eiffel tower is going to be on my to do list again. I’m going to buy myself another tower and I’m going to ride the elevator all the way to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment