Monday, May 13, 2013

Mango City

It's hard to believe that two years ago I was in Mexico basking in the fresh sun and learning how to love children. One of the things I remember most about Mexico are the markets. Down the street from my humble abode was one of the best markets I have ever been to in Latin America. It wasn't to big, it wasn't to small, and the large pieces of meet hanging from giant silver hooks didn't overpower my wanting to be there.

Trips to the market for fruit was a biweekly event for my friends and I in Mexico. One of our favorite things to buy at the market was mangos. The mangos in Mexico were TO DIE FOR!! Every morning after our early morning zumba class we would all make our way to the long wooden kitchen table that stretched across the middle of Miss. Teres kitchen. I would cut my mango in half a third of the way in, down the middle and out again. After I tore out the seed I would then cut three horizontal lines and three vertical lines spread evenly throughout the mango. My skinny fingers would then arch the mango up and create a city of square mangos to pop to life. My teeth would graze over each square eagerly until they hit skin. I repeated this daily for four months.

Last week I bought a mango that looked like the delicious mangos in Mexico. It was not the same, but close.




1 comment:

  1. MANGO's! How i miss them, the markets and the beautiful sunshine. xx

    ReplyDelete