Friday, March 13, 2015

Aaahhhh Freedom

I was texting my oldest brother tonight. He asked me what my plans were for the evening. I told him I had just come back from exercising and that I was going to grab some coffee and write. He texted me back "Aaahhhh freedom." I couldn't help but smile and nod. "Yup." I thought.

Writing for me is a type of freedom that I don't think I feel anywhere else in this life. This blog has been a huge part of that for me over the past 6 years. Lately I have been thinking about how I owe this blog it's own personal post. I just can't seem to come up with anything appropriate and generous enough to show my gratitude to this little sight.

My oldest brother is an avid writer himself. He has written in a journal everyday for at least 15 years years, and has had his own blog for the past eight. It's been wonderful to read his memories about living in Japan and New York City, witness his views on technology, and books, and read about his view on family life. Tonight as I was catching up on some of his posts I came across this little gem. I liked the way he thanked his blog so I thought I would share. He can always say it better. Enjoy

Eight Years Running

I clearly remember when I started this blog. It was eight years ago this month. I was sitting in my office on the 32nd floor of the historic Equitable Building in lower Manhattan, where, if I stood up and looked out the window from the right angle, I could see the hole created by the tragic events that occurred five years earlier on a sunny Tuesday morning. I don’t occupy that office any more, but am sure the view of the Hudson I used to have is blocked by WTC 2 and 3 rising majestically into the sky, only shadowed by 1 WTC.
Those were good days. I was so eager, ambitious, so free. I remember my walks at lunch, my old friends, the job I worked so hard to get. Some days were definitely busy, other days were less so. And it was during one of those less busy days that I felt like writing. I felt like I needed to share my thoughts, experiences, musings and insight with whosoever cared to read. Blogs were all the rage back then and so I created one. Over the last eight years, the frequency of my posts have varied, but one things has been consistent: I have posted at least once a month for the last eight years, regardless of the lack of readership or response.
Since this blog’s birth on that November afternoon in 2006, I have owned three homes in three states and have had four daughters. I am working at my third job since leaving the one in lower Manhattan and have had the chance to travel to various countries and cities. I have managed to develop some professional skills, have walked thousands of miles and sprouted plenty of gray hairs. The title of this blog does not make as much sense as it used to when I lived in New York, but the title has remained through the years. And despite the lack of visitors, this blog is still what I intended it to be – a place for me to write and share.
Thank you for the last eight years. I have been truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment